Discussion: Citizenship, Global and Multicultural Education
Banks and Spring both suggest that there is a global migration of people and that racial, ethnic, cultural and language diversity is increasing worldwide. As pre-service teachers you will need to prepare for the shift and imminent change of the racial and ethnic configurations in your classrooms.
Discuss with your fellow students in 2-3 paragraphs or more:
- Whether you are able to embrace this philosophy of teaching citizenship and global education. Also, how will you use it in the classroom?
- If you are willing to re-assess and change your educational values based on the readings in order to be an effective teacher.
Discussion: Poverty and School-Community Support
Poverty continues to be a factor impacting educational outcomes for children. Review and base your discussion on the video Hard Times, readings from Joyce Epstein, the National 2016 Kids Count Data table and the Syracuse.com news.
- Discuss how poverty impacts children’s learning.
- Also, how will you, as a teacher, account for such students in your classes? (High School English)
- What school-community programs are available for children in poverty and homeless children in your district? (YMCA, Walden Rec Center offers after school hours at the teen center for free)
- At least 2-3 paragraphs
Please reach out to me if you have any questions on what classes I have observed/taught. I am in Valley Central High School through the Valley Central School District in Montgomery, NY.