Post 5 Identifying and Changing Unhelpful Thoughts
Think about an unhelpful thought you often have and how you might or did use cognitive restructuring. Respond to the following questions/prompts in about 3-4 sentences each for about 1-2 pages total.
- Share a time in the past where you would have benefited from using cognitive restructuring. How would it have changed how you felt about the situation? Would it have changed the outcome at all?
- Complete a WOOP for a goal you have based on the following four prompts. Remember to include all four parts of the WOOP, putting particular focus on naming an internal obstacle and an if/then statement for your plan.
- What is something you wish to change in your future in terms of your ability to identify and change your unhelpful thoughts? This change can be longer term, but make sure to then also identify something for within the next 4 weeks.
- What would a specific outcome be if you were to live out the above wish?
- What is an obstacle that has kept/will keep you from using cognitive restructuring? Name at least one internal barrier, although you can also name exterior barriers as well.
- What are your plans for overcoming these obstacles and barriers to use check the facts and opposite action? Make sure to include an if/then statement (per our class lesson on WOOP) and then expand on how you will ensure you stick with that plan. Include specific steps.
- What is one thing that resonated with you class on Wednesday, particularly from the lecture material? What do you still have questions about (if anything)?
For the second part of the homework, write a half a page about a time this week where you thought about something you are grateful for.
For the third part of the homework post, we want you to reflect on the reading for next week and the associated videos and answer the following questions (about a half page):
- Identify one way you can see this content helping you going forward.
- Do you have any clarification questions about the reading?