TEXAS POLICY PROJECT
This project is all about examining a contemporary policy issue facing the
State of Texas
You are writing a formal policy report which describes:
- A statement of current policy
(2)Reasons for initiating changes
(3) Policy options to be considered
- (4)Pros and cons of each option
(5) Recommended course of action
(6) Reasoning for selecting that course of action
Step 1: Identify an issue and how the US government and Texas government have been currently addressing it (historical perspective)
- How to find a contemporary policy issue?
- Read the newspaper
- Listen to Sunday morning News Shows
- Review a Texas Government textbook for contemporary issues
- Step 2:Gather 3 scholarly research articles that address the issue you selected and relevant to the topic.
The article must be:
(1) No more than ten years old
(2) Minimum of five pages in length
(3) Meet standards of college level material
Carefully choose those works that provide a variety of perspectives on your topic.
Newspaper articles, magazine articles, textbooks are considered “supplemental sources” on the collegiate level and are not quality research materials.
- Dictionaries, Encyclopedias (including Wikipedia), Almanacs, or an Atlas are reference materials and should not be listed in any works cited page on the collegiate level.
Properly document your sources works
within your paper with footnotes, and in your “Works Cited” cited page.
- Step 3 – The Policy Paper
A. Your paper must be a minimum of 1000 words discussing the six points.
- B. Use the library database to begin researching the topic. This assignment requires careful planning.
- C. Be sure you review the model Texas Policy Paper in the Content Section, eCampus. This will give you a perspective on your own paper.