Respond to the discussion prompt below.
- First post due 11:59 p.m., Thursday, CT.
- Respond to two or more classmates by 11:59 p.m., Sunday, CT.
See Assignments And Grading for details about discussions and the discussions rubric.
Points: (20 points)
Discuss the different functions of deviance in society in mundane situations, such as the weekend or a football game, or vacation.
- Pick a deviant act and proceed through Merton’s defining of a deviant act.
- Think of your group of friends, is there a person that bothers everyone, and yet remains a part of the group? Why?
- Would you agree with Erikson’s claim that “society channels certain of its members into relatively fixed careers in deviance”?
- Pick a deviant act and discuss the latent functions of the act.
- Of the three critiques of the functionalist perspective, which one do you find the most problematic? Why?