- Your neighbor knocks on your door. Knowing that you are a student in a healthcare administration program, she asks you to explain advanced directives. She explains that she is assisting her elderly father, and she has many questions:
- What is a living will?
- What is a health care durable power of attorney (also known as a health care proxy)?
- How can someone create a living will or health care proxy?
- What issues should someone consider before making a living will or health care proxy?
- How are treatment decisions made for incapacitated patients who do not have health care proxies or living wills?
- What will happen if a patient’s family members disagree about the care of an incapacitated patient?
- What will happen if a patient’s health care provider believes that the family is insisting on medically inappropriate treatment?
Provide a brief overview.