Throughout this course, you have explored the ABC Model of Crisis Intervention. Each aspect of the model has been discussed in length so that you have a good understanding of how to use this model. You have learned to ask appropriate questions, create rapport, convey empathy, consider ethical concerns, identify and break down all aspects of the problem, and problem-solve with a client to develop effective new coping strategies.
For this Assignment, you will use this case study:
Adam: The Higher Teenager. Mr. and Mrs. Johnson suspect that their 15 year old son Adam is depressed. Both have seen negative changes in his behavior at home and at school. They have noticed that his group of friends has changed over the past six months. Adam’s parents have noticed that he no longer abides by the rules from home. He stays out until 1:00 a.m. on school nights and does not want to get up for school. There are many weekends that Adam never comes home. Mrs. Johnson reports that when Adam is home he always seems to have a cold because his nose is constantly dripping. Both Mr. and Mrs. Johnson are hopeful that Adam’s depression can be treated.
Using the ABC Model of Crisis Intervention, write a six-page paper on how you as a crisis intervention worker will help the person who comes into your office with a crisis. Remember you can refer to the text on page 60 as your guide for discussing your intervention with the client.
Be sure to address the following in your written assignment as you apply the ABC Model of Crisis Intervention to the case study:
- Developing rapport and trust
- Identifying and breaking down the problem
- Precipitating event
- Perception of the event
- Subjective distress
- Impairment in functioning
- Identifying and explaining any ethical concerns
- Identifying any other conditions that are of concern
- Providing therapeutic interventions
- Making suggestions for coping
Be sure to use specific information from the text to support your answers. When referencing the text, APA formatting must be used. Information regarding APA formatting can be found in the Writing Center and should be reviewed thoroughly. APA formatting dictates how your paper should appear on each page.
Your Assignment should include:
- An introduction and a conclusion
- An APA-formatted title page
- A body length of a minimum of 6 pages (minimum of 8 pages including title page and reference page)
- An APA-formatted reference page with in-text citations
In addition, make sure you:
- Use standard margins: 1″ on all sides
- Use standard 12-point font size
- Use standard double-spacing
- Use left-aligned text; do not right-justify