- Compare major cranial-dental features to understand fossil hominin classification.
- Identify & describe the taxonomy of Pleistocene hominins.
- Recognize when specific human traits first appear in the fossil record.
- Identify difficulties with how we define modern humans.
- Recognize and differentiate significant paleontological events in the Pleistocene epoch.
- Identify and explain each of these Homo species and their significance in Pleistocene evolution: H. erectus/ergaster, H. antecessor, H. heidelbergensis, H. neanderthalensis, and H. sapiens.
- Define and describe what factors led to the speciation, spread, and, in some cases, extinction of the above fossil hominins.
- Recognize and explain the significance of dental, cranial, and postcranial evidence about each of the above fossil humans.
Compare major cranial-dental features to understand fossil hominin classification.