CHOOSE ANY TWO TOPICS FROM THE LIST BELOW
Instructions: EACH response must be 4-5 well-developed paragraphs (each essay should be 400-word count: 12
) Are all references properly cited (MLA).
- Using both text and lectures: Discuss thoroughly the festival called The Brauronia. Include in your response, the purpose, participants, and the context.
- Using both text and lectures What are the components of Edith Hall’s paradigm for the heroine? Why is Iphigenia the model she chooses for her theory? Do you agree or disagree? Why?
- Using both text and lectures: Utilizing the plays by Euripides, covered in lecture and text: Medea, The Bacchae, and Iphigenia; discuss how female characters were presented by Euripides? You must discuss at least two of the plays/characters, and of course you are free to discuss all three in your response. Consider such elements as
statusof women, agency (power) of women and the nature of sacrifice, (such as Iphigenia’s offering of her life), and madness if applicable.
- Using both text and lectures Based on reading in the Odyssey, the Maurizio text and multiple lectures; discuss the character of Odysseus from the perspective of his weaknesses: such as hubris (pride), relationship with the feminine (women), and how does he use his ‘wit and wisdom’ to survive? And, lastly, why is he a likable character in your opinion?
- Using both text and lectures: Considering bad-boy Dionysius, how does he become associated with wine, revelry, and emotion-based unseemly behavior? How did he become associated with theater? In your response, include a discussion of his association with wine as an important product in the social and economic factor of Ancient Greece.