Please include both the question and answer in document 🙂
- How do myths and legends shape a society?
- How were myths and legends used to explain the natural world before science?
- What role do myths play in the cultural activities of a society?
- How do myths provide life with meaning?
- Do myths and legends establish moral guidelines for living?
Critical Thinking Questions
- Name at least three ways our culture would be different if we had no myths and legends. Do you think life would be better, the same, or worse?
- The bogeyman can be found all over the world. Describe how the bogeyman is portrayed in our culture.
- Think of a character trait you believe is important in a person. Now describe a myth or legend from our culture that reinforces the importance of the trait.
- The Viking version of the afterlife was an extension of what was important to them on Earth: bravery in battle. Describe what the afterlife might look like to a culture that valued a theme of your choosing. Ideas: wealth, peace, knowledge, entertainment, independence, etc.
- Food and drink are often the objects of myth and legend. Describe a food or drink that a visitor to our country might think was sacred to us.