Assignment 2: Using Informatics to Keep Patients Safe and Improve Outcomes
Informatics and technology utilization are important topics to the provision of safe and quality patient care. We explored informatics competencies and the presence of information technology in all aspects of providing care. Issues included in the discussion of technology in nursing practice encompass everything from documentation, confidentiality and privacy of information, and telehealth. Whether we are using biomedical equipment or communicating interprofessional with members of our healthcare team, we must use informatics and technology in a meaningful, ethical, and responsible way.
Select an informatics issue that is important in your workplace. Conduct a literature review of your topic in scholarly journals to find the most relevant information to support the importance and scope of your identified issue. Describe the scope of the issue at your workplace and at the national level. Conclude with how the issue may create a safety-focused culture and improve patient outcomes in a clinical setting of your choice. Write your paper to include the following:
- Select an informatics issue that is important in your workplace.
- Describe the importance and scope of the selected issue by citing the most relevant and scholarly sources. Scope includes ethical, political, and professional implications.
- Describe the scope of the issue from a workplace and national perspective.
- Conclude with identifying how addressing the issue may create a safety-focused culture and improve patient outcomes.
Your submission should be at minimum a paper of 2–3 pages in length. Your scholarly references (minimum of four) should be listed and submitted as a separate Microsoft Word document.
- By the due date assigned, post your educational flyer with an attached reference list to the Submissions Area.
- Support your findings with examples and scholarly references. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
- Use the following file-naming convention: AU_NUR406_M6_A2_LastName_FirstInitial.doc.
|Assignment 2 Grading Criteria||
|Selected an informatics issue that is important.||
|Described the importance and scope of the selected issue by citing the most relevant and scholarly sources.||
|Described the scope of the issue from a workplace and national perspective.||
|Concluded with identifying how addressing the issue may create a safety-focused culture and improve patient outcomes.||
|Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in appropriate and accurate representation and attribution of sources; and displayed accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Used scholarly sources that align with specified assignment requirements.||