Reading selection of Olympe de Gouges’ Declaration of the Rights of Woman and the Female citizen (written in 1791). The selection should be read in full at http://chnm.gmu.edu/revolution/d/293/. You should also
look at the revolutionary document of 1789 that she is “correcting”,
called Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen (http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/rightsof.asp
). Olympe de Gouge has the status of women as her main concern. The
general context is the French Revolution and the attempts to redefine
rights and status once one replaces monarchy.
- Briefly introduce the writer and the situation that this reading is about. Identify the genre or nature of the reading. (Who is the author; why did he or she write this piece?)
- Using specific examples or lines within the reading, suggest the author’s key views and key aims for the reading audience. (Give a 1-2 paragraph summary of ideas)
the author’s strategy and what you see as the work’s likely
effectiveness (or lack of effectiveness) for the target audience. If
there is any known historical result, discuss that. (Look at the writing style and discuss who would read this)
how the reading impacted you. Identify any analogous situations today,
and also key lessons you get from the reading that could be relevant to
one’s professional and personal life. (How did you like this? How do the ideas relate to situations today?)
a title page containing the title of the assignment, your name, the
professor’s name, the course title, and the date of submission. The
cover page and the source list are not included in the required
assignment length (350 words minimum). APA format
must the class text and also any source(s) identified (with links)
above for the topic you choose, focusing on the main primary source of
that author. If you use any additional source (optional), it must be
from the university’s online Library and of good academic quality for
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Explain how key social, cultural, and artistic contributions contribute to historical changes.
- Explain the importance of situating a society’s cultural and artistic expressions within a historical context.
the influences of intellectual, religious, political, and
socio-economic forces on social, cultural, and artistic expressions.
- Identify major historical developments in world cultures from the Renaissance to the contemporary period.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in the study of world cultures.
- Write clearly and concisely about world cultures using proper writing mechanics.