See the website: http://www.usgs.gov/natural_hazards/
Step 1: Post to at least one of the topics below by 11:59 pm on Thursday. You will receive a grade for your discussion post, and each post must have a minimum of 100 words. Please proofread your discussion post before submitting it to the board.
- Have you had the opportunity to travel to a volcanic area (active, dormant, or extinct)?
- Share your stories with the class.
- Have you learned anything new about that particular volcano from what you are currently reading in the textbook?
- It’s amazing how forces of nature affect our daily lives! Imagine living in an area with the constant threat of a volcanic eruption. Search online for information about volcanic areas that also have a relatively high population of people. How do they prepare for eruptions? What dangers do they face? One example that comes to mind is Eyjafjallajokull in Iceland. Activity from this volcano during the Spring of 2010 affected the entire globe!
- Continental areas around the rim of the Pacific Ocean experience a multitude of geologic activity, including earthquakes and volcanoes. In fact, this area is known as the “Ring of Fire” due to the high volume of active volcanoes that are found here. Share any information that you find about the volcanic activity associated with the “Ring of Fire.”
- See if you can find information on other active volcanic areas. How is the volcano classified and described? What kind of dangers does it pose to nearby inhabitants of the area?
Be sure to cite your references to receive full credit.
Note: Wikipedia does not count as an academic source. You may start by reading Wikipedia, but then read and cite the articles as cited by Wikipedia.