I need support with this Biology question so I can learn better.
BIOLOGY 152; STUDY GUIDE: UNIT 3
THE MICROBIAL CENSUS
Reading: Chapters 10, 11, 12 & pp. 370-377, 385-392
Items in Red and Bold:
may not be covered in class, so you will need to look up this
information on your own
Explain the following terms:
Answer the following questions:
The term species is defined differently for prokaryotes and eukaryotes. Describe how the two are
2. Briefly describe the three domain system of classification, including the domains and the groups
of organisms they contain. Describe the characteristics of the organisms which determine the
domain into which they fit. Which scientist proposed this classification system?
3. Know the Classification Hierarchy (slide 7).
4. Describe the way organisms are named using the binomial nomenclature system.
5. List and briefly describe the various methods used to classify and identify bacteria.
6. Compare and contrast characteristics of fungi, protozoa,
, and helminths. If given information regarding cell
composition/morphology, reproductive strategy, nutritional pattern (chemoheterotroph vs. photoautotroph) for an
organism, be able to classify it into one of these 4 groups.
7. What characteristics are used to group viruses into taxonomic families? What is a viral species?
What are the suffixes that are used to represent genus, family and order names for viruses?
8. Describe the different types of viral genomes that are possible.
9. Briefly describe the manner in which the second edition of Bergey’s manual is organized in terms
of the groups of bacteria that are included.
10. What are the 2 basic morphologies of fungi? What does dimorphic mean? Briefly describe four ways in which
fungi can cause disease in humans.
11. For Protozoa: what is the difference between a trophozoite and a cyst? Give one example of a protozoan disease
discussed in class.