No Excuses University–Interventions
“Those who are in a position of strength have a responsibility to protect the weak.” – Thomas Cushman
Compose your journal using first-person language. Follow APA formatting including in-text citations and a reference page covering the discussion points below.
In Chapter 10 of our text by Lopez, the term intervention is defined as “taking action so as to improve a situation” (2013, p.123). Lopez also discusses the theory of “fixing” versus the provision of “extra” support and proposes that investing and using one’s time “intentionally” is a better investment than money.
- Describe how your understanding and application of the term “intervention” has changed after considering Lopez’s remarks in Chapter 10.
- Make a list of interventions currently taking place both inside and outside of today’s classroom.
- Make a list of interventions that you would like to see take place inside and outside of today’s classroom.
- Which interventions are the result of money, time, or volunteers?
- After you had addressed questions 1 through 4, what gaps do you see in interventions? What advice would you give a school in creating an exceptional intervention model that could fill those gaps?
If you do not have direct classroom experience, you may respond to these questions based on your own understanding of what occurs in your own children’s school, or a professional or volunteer position you’ve held outside of a school setting.