Mandatory Minimum Sentencing
Mandatory minimum sentencing laws require judges to impose a non-discretionary minimum amount of prison time that all offenders have to serve. Mandatory minimum sentences are the more rigid form of the broad scheme of determinate sentencing. These laws take much discretion away from the judge and jury. In addition, the Supreme Court has expanded the right of trial by jury into criminal sentencing procedures.
Please respond to the following prompts. Each response should be 4-6 sentences long.
You will be assessed on the rationale you use in addressing the questions/issue posted, and how well you justify your argument regarding this issue. Your response must be thought-provoking, have well developed ideas and/or opinions, and should reference any supporting material from the text, lecture or other sources you have used to complete the assignment. You may use your text or the internet as a reference, but remember to cite your sources according to APA guidelines.
1. How did the Aprendi rule extend the right to trial by jury?
2. Why is this rule important?
This essay should include the following:
- An in-depth submission that should be free of spelling and grammar errors and is 1-2 pages in length.
- You will be assessed on the rationale you use in addressing the questions/issue posted, and how well you justify your argument regarding this issue.
- Your response must be thought-provoking, have well-developed ideas, and should reference (per APA) any supporting material from the text, lecture, or other sources you have used to complete the assignment.
- Please remember that your individual work should be paraphrased. This means you must write the paper in your own words. You must not simply find an article and cut and paste it and submit it as your assignment.
- In addition, you should use scholarly resources to support your claims. Quotations are acceptable, but should be used sparingly. At least 85% of your paper should be written in your own words. Citing your work and giving authors appropriate credit is very important. If an idea is not your own, you must cite your work – this includes paraphrasing. (Please refer to the school’s plagiarism policy for more information).