Revising and Finalizing an Argumentative Essay
In this unit, you will draw on the feedback from your instructor, on your peer reviews from Unit 9, and on your own understanding of the goals of an argumentative essay gained through study and practice to perform final, careful revision of your Argumentative Essay.
Remember that the purpose of this essay is to take a firm stance on an arguable concept and to persuade your reader of your stance effectively via argument strategies and the integration of scholarly research.
To complete the assignment:
- Use the feedback you received from your instructor and classmates and your own understanding of the goals of an argumentative essay gained through study and practice to revise your final Argumentative Essay draft of 3–4 pages (page requirement does not include title page, references, or revision statement). Be sure you incorporate a variety of argumentative appeals—logic and reason; character, credibility, and ethical appeal; and emotion (logos, ethos, and pathos). Fully address opposing viewpoints, and integrate rich information from your two scholarly, peer-reviewed library sources and from your own understanding of the topic.
- Fine-tune your use of quoted and paraphrased information from both library articles throughout your essay. Incorporating source materials smoothly into your own paragraphs and fully cite the articles in text and in an end References page in correct APA style. Please carefully examine the Argumentative Essay Sample resource. Refer also to the APA section of A Writer’s Reference, under Article from a Database and/or to The Prentice Hall Guide for College Writers, APA section (starting on page 453), Article from a Journal.
- Pay close attention to strength of argument, appeal to the reader, solid support, paragraph development, flow, mechanics, purpose and audience, and source use.
- Ensure that you have formatted your final draft in full and proper APA document style.
- Compose a 2–4 -paragraph statement, noting the steps you took during revision and how you feel these actions improved your work from the first draft to the final draft. Include this statement at the end of your essay, after your References page.
- When you have finished your assignment, carefully and very thoroughly read through the Revising and Finalizing an Argumentative Essay Scoring Guide before submitting your work. Read and comprehend all categories in the scoring guide, asking your instructor if you have any questions about any element of these criteria. Do not finalize and submit this assignment until you have taken this step.
- Submit your assignment to the Turnitin source matching tool, and make any necessary revisions before submitting your final essay for grading.
- Submit the final draft of your Argumentative Essay, including your revision statement paragraph after your References page.