REVIEW QUESTIONS CHAPTER 1
1. How would you have defined religion prior to reading this chapter? What factors do you think your choice of this definition?
2- According to the author, what are some of the problems with the definitions listed ON page 5?
3. What does the author think are the characteristics of an adequate definition of religion?Do you see these as problems?
4. What is the working definition of religion proposed by the author?Do you agree? Why or why not?
5. Why does the author think human beings are religious? Can you think of other reasons? Do you think humans are inherently religious?
6. Summarize the five reasons the author gives for studying religion. Can you offer other reasons?