Directions: Answer each question below by writing a strong paragraph that includes supporting information from the lesson. Please cite your outside resources.
A strong paragraph includes a minimum of three to five details from the lesson and is written in Academic English form. For more information on Academic English form, refer to the documents in the Orientation.
1. What may be the beliefs of the persons who made each of these statements? What is meant by each of these statements?
“Justice delayed is justice denied.”
“What is the charge against me?”
“You have the right to be represented by a lawyer. If you cannot afford one, a lawyer will be provided for you.”
2. What are some examples of residual powers? Why do you think some powers are left to each state? Do you agree that some powers should remain with the states or should we have a completely centralized government?
3. Why do you think that the powers of the federal government are specifically listed and those remaining with the states are not?
4. How does poverty affect citizens and the law?
5. Why do you think many states have passed laws pertaining to sentencing guidelines?
(Will be given lesson info if chosen as tutor :D)